Sunday 24 August 2014

Day 4: 3 August 2014

As usual, I had breakfast with my Dad and his family, and after breakfast I wanted to go to Regent's Park. I have always wanted to go there, and the day before I had the distinct feeling the north-east corner of the park wasn't the most interesting, instead I wanted to start in the south-east corner.
I try to find different buses when I'm going places in London, as the busride is part of the sightseeing and experience in London - so I planned to take a bus from Bayswater Road to Victoria Station (148?) and then another bus from Victoria Station to Regent's Park (C2).

All went well - to start with. What I didn't know was the fact that there were massive construction works going on around Victoria Station, so when I got off the bus I was completely confused, I didn't even see anything that looked like a station ...
To make a long story short, I ended up walking around for about half an hour around Victoria station to first of all, actually find the station, and second, try to figure out from where my bus was departing! :) Finally I got on the right bus and I got off at the right place - so I say Bravo for me!

The south east corner of Regent's Park was AMAZING! I highly recommend a visit - and I will try to go back, as I didn't have as much time as I would have needed to explore it properly!
The nature was absolutely beautiful and they had these extraordinary rose gardens - due to the almost extreme heatwave they had almost started to wither, but it was an amazing walk!
I then found a bus that went straight from the south end of Regent's Park to Paddington, bus 205 - definitely going to remember that (also, it happens to go all the way to Liverpool Street Station, cool!).

I went back to the hotel to shower and change - as always it was difficult with the timing, and I came to the hotel earlier than planned, and realized that hadn't cleaned my room yet. Showered and changed in record time (didn't much feel like being the shower when the cleaning crew came!) and took a bus to Marble Arch, where I had lunch and was able to take it easy for a while.

I then went down to Aldwych and quickly found Lyceum Theatre, where The Lion King is playing. It was however, very early! I was supposed to pick up my tickets around 2 p.m. and it was before 1 when I got there. I ended up walking around the area, and for the first time really discovered Covent Garden! It was a bit too crowded and loud for my liking but it was really nice to have seen it! Also found a Disney Store there - which is always nice! :)
I ended up picking up my tickets early but the theatre was already opened. They had a dangerous souvenir shop there, but everything is extremely expensive. I went into the theatre and found my place as soon as they opened, and I have to say, I wonder how much money they make during one performance ... The tickets are expensive, yes definitely! I bought a programme and a souvenir brochure, which was £14 (more expensive than The Phantom of the Opera and Les Misérables) - and they sold SO much stuff. Not only food and drinks but dvd:s and records and stuffed animals - tiny little stuffed animals (that were SOOO cool) cost £15 - and you could easily see five kids buying them together ...

Anyway, a proper review of the musical will come in my musical blog, eventually - but I have to make a few comments. First of all, I hadn't realized it followed the movie as closely as it did. But it was basically word-for-word the same (yup, I know the movie! *lol*).
Also, it was extremely spectacular! The scenery, the costumes - it was absolutely astonishing! Not every musical you go to has an elephant coming down through the audience and jumping up on stage, inside the theatre, right?! :)

After the musical I went back to the hotel where I met my Dad and his family. We went for a walk in the area around the hotel and a little bit into Kensington Gardens, which was quite nice. I sometime find it difficult when I spend tooo much time with them, but catching up like this every now and again was really great!

No comments: